Sunday, February 24, 2008

This is different from anything I have ever posted before. But today I would like to put forth Rachel's challenge and continue a chain of kindness among the people I know. Friday at Stayton High School, the student council presented an assembly that was meant to change lives. Rachel Scott was the first person who died at Columbine High School. She was an extraordinary young woman. The presentation had a huge impact on my life as did the murders at Columbine. The craziness has to end. The killing has to stop. Prejudice cannot continue forever. Make a point of accepting those who are different. Let this be a challenge every day of the rest of your life. I know I will. I also know that we are all not perfect. At time we judge and at times we judge wrongly. Make a point to call those you love and tell them how much you love them. As a school teacher there are many days when I go to school and wonder at the safety of the schools. When we are confronted with senseless killings, it is hard to look at every student and see the good in all of them. But there is good in every human being. It is up to all of us to make sure that no one is left alone in this world and no one is left feeling so desperate that they feel that they have no recourse but to end their live as well as others. This is beginning to feel like a lecture so I will stop here. Tell someone you love them. And try to pass on kindness each day.

Christine

No comments: