Thursday, December 01, 2011

Back in the classroom today


Source: theberry.com via Chris on Pinterest


While teaching for one day was fun, the experience also illustrated why I was so happy to retire. It was a tiring day. The kids have so much energy I think they must just suck it right out of the adults. Whenever I go back I have to pour over the math, work the problems and figure out how to make algebra easy. Today  I taught point slope formula y2-y1/x2-x1. (sorry I couldn't make the ones and twos little). Someone wanted to why they couldn't just do it on a calculator so i handed him a graphing calculator and said "ok" But of course he didn't know how to do it. So he kind of looked at me and shrugged his shoulders. I then gave him another reason which he actually appreciated.

In the slightly more advanced Alg class we solved absolute value inequalities. Because the problems involved absolute value they had to solve each problem twice. Oh my, there were only about12 problems. You mean we have to solve 24 problems in 50 minutes? Eeeek!!!! They actually adapted fairly well and finished the worksheet in record time.

After an exhausting day, I'm very happy to be back in my office.

No comments: